Friday, April 23, 2004

Simba, my dog of 8 years, just died today. God... I'm just so pissed... The worst thing about it is I don't feel like crying or anything, even though I've been treating the dog like a little brother/son since he was given to us along with my other deceased dog Nala by a friend of my dad's in Japan, back when I was still eight. My dog meant a lot to me... argh I'm actually feeling more angry and numb than anything around sad.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting him to last very long anymore. Simba had gone almost completely blind already last year, and just recently he'd been getting so frail that his bones were showing sharply through his fur, so much to a point that his legs would get unstable and shivery everytime he tried to stand up. Eventually, he started isolating himself in a secluded corner in his "room" and began laying in the same position for the whole day, even refusing to eat when his bowl was filled.

I had to cry last night when I saw him like that. He was breathing as though he never would get the chance to do so again. I even tried holding some food right in front of his mouth, and he only responded weakly by turning his head away from me... he just looked so frail and helpless it just seriously felt bad. And I thought it was bad enough when I found that he couldn't differentiate me from strangers just a few weeks after he'd gotten blind.

It was a good thing I got to see him right before he died, though... just around 30 minutes after we left the house for a cooking class in Makati, our househelp said Simba started throwing lots of blood up all over the place... (it hurt to hear that... argh I can't imagine the scene without feeling completely horrible)... and he eventually had to go. I just hate it... I mean imagine having fallen asleep in the car after a great day, and then being waken up to find out that you just lost something worth more than all the equally great days you've had in the past.

I can't help but feel like I'm the worst pet-owner in the world right now. Shoot... I've been taking Simba for granted because of all those trips to my lolo's house and because of that I hadn't been able to take care of my dog much and just left him to be taken care of by Manang Alicia for the meantime.

I'm sorry, sorry, sorry Simba! Walong taon... I'm going to miss you a lot :``{